SOUTH ORANGE COUNTY OBESITY PREVENTION TASK FORCE
VISION: To reduce the prevalence of childhood obesity in South Orange County, CA.
PURPOSE: To establish three (3) sector committees:
- Increase regular practice by families around healthy eating and physical activity.
- Increase implementation of comprehensive school/district wellness policies.
- Increase accessibly built-environment options for healthy foods and physical activities.
“As the Founder & CEO of Fit to be Kids, I have been the active representative who is participating as a valued member of the South Orange County Obesity Prevention Task Force since the inception of the initiative, in 2011. I have supported the “Schools” committee for the last year and have had the pleasure of developing physical activity programs with evidence-based standards, benchmarks and exit outcomes that adhere to the National and California State Physical Education Standards of NASPE, AAHPERD & the Fitness Gram for the following elementary schools that have been identified as Title 1 (under-served) schools in both Saddleback Valley Unified School District (SVUSD) & Capistrano Unified School District (CAPO).” – Shae T. Gawlak
Elementary Schools Serviced
- Olivewood Elementary – 9 hours total during a 6 week session (1.5 hours/week)
- 1st-3rd graders – participation was on average approximately 80 kids/week
- 4th-6th graders – participation was on average approximately 40 kids/week
- PRINCIPAL MIKE CONLON has agreed to allow Fit to be Kids as their After-School Program provider to his students on his campus next school year
- Students will receive our 1 day/wk LUNCH TIME PE PROGRAM for FREE for Mr. “C” generosity of the After-School Program approval during 2013/2014 school year
- Viejo Elementary – 12 hours total during a 6 week session (2 hours/week)
- Kinders – participation was on average approximately 50 kids/week
- 1st -3rd graders – participation was on average approximately 80 kids/week
- 4th & 5th graders – participation was on average approximately 20 kids/week
- PRINCIPAL DOUG KRAMER is now working with his Site Council to keep Fit to be Kids Lunch time PE Program at Viejo for next school year & they will possibly be able to afford the weekly program through the efforts of the PTA
- Del Obispo Elementary – 9 hours total during a 6 week session (1.5 hours/week)
- 1st – 3rd graders – participation was on average approximately 50 kids/week
- 4th & 5th graders – participation was on average approximately 25 kids/week
TOTAL WEEKLY PARTICIPATION FROM ALL 3 SCHOOLS = 345 KIDS
“On behalf of Mission Hospital and the South Orange County Childhood Obesity Prevention Task Force, I’d like to thank you for your ongoing contribution to the implementation of our Strategic Plan. Since you joined the Task Force in 2011, you have launched successful physical activity and nutrition education programs for our underserved community in Lake Forest. Aside from your education and knowledge of the subjects, it is your ongoing enthusiasm and collaborative spirit that I believe has made your program so successful. Shae, you and Fit to be Kids are a tremendous asset to children and families who would not otherwise have access to professional services such as yours. You are passionate, dedicated and committed to serving our dear neighbors and we just wanted you to know how deeply appreciated you are.” – Carla DiCandia, Manager, Health & Ministry Services at Mission Hospital; Chair, SOC Childhood Obesity Task Force